With every Academy Awards ceremony there are some categories where predicting the winner is simple, simple, simple and without any real research or homework required. This year, I think all of the acting categories fall, well, into that category.
But then there are categories where I might as well just close my eyes and blindly mark my ballot. That’s where research sometimes comes in handy (then again, sometimes not) and with any luck will separate me from the rest of the Oscar pool pack by correctly selecting a few winners that others do not. Randy is hungry for that Oscar (pool) gold.
A few blog entries ago, I placed my predictions for the “easy” categories. And now here are my selections for those categories that I am HOPING will win.
1. Best documentary feature – The Cove
2. Best documentary short subject – The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
3. Achievement in film editing - The Hurt Locker
4. Best foreign language film – The White Ribbon
5. Best animated short film – A Matter of Loaf and Death
6. Best live action short film – The New Tenants
7. Achievement in sound editing – The Hurt Locker
8. Achievement in sound mixing – The Hurt Locker
9. Original screenplay – The Hurt Locker
My goodness, all but 2 of my predicted winners have “THE” at the beginning of the film’s title. Could I be on to something? (Or just “on something”?—ha ha)
I’ve also changed my mind where a couple of those aforementioned “easy” categories are concerned:
Achievement in cinematography – The Hurt Locker (instead of my original prediction of Avatar)
Achievement in makeup – The Young Victoria (instead of my original prediction of Star Trek)
Are you ready for Oscar night?